Monday, July 11, 2011

A Bowl Full of Mush - Meatloaf


I know, I know I promised to cut back on the food posts that look like "mush", as some people say, but I don't know, is mush really that bad? I mean texture aside, if it tastes good eat it. Right?

Well, it's a steamy start to another week and our window air conditioner is working hard at keeping a balmy 27 degree temperature in here. (80.6 F for those of you joining me from the United States)

So I haven't really felt like doing all that much of anything last week and this week doesn't look all that promising as it seems to be much of the same.

The "baby" seems to be coming down with something and/or is developing very picky eating habits. I'm not sure which it is at this point but I've been forced to cater to her likes and dislikes to get her to eat absolutely anything and that means her choice in texture as well.

So I made a Quinoa meatloaf and I thought it tasted pretty good. (Hubby agreed though he is biased and says ALL my cooking tastes good) I think it could use something, perhaps a can of diced tomatoes, maybe some green peppers, cheese?

Anyway it turned out pretty good, all things considered, so I'll share the recipe. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it as well! I'm sorry, it's a "mush" recipe but I hope you enjoy the taste!

Quinoa Meatloaf
1 1/2 cups water
3/4 cups quinoa
1 tablespoon olive oil for greasing casserole dish
2 carrots, finely chopped
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 pounds ground beef
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons Gluten Free Tamari sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions

1) Preheat oven to 375°F.

2) Cook quinoa according to package directions.

3) Place beef in a large bowl and mix with carrots, quinoa, eggs,
Tamari sauce and salt.

4) Press mixture into lightly greased 2.5 quart casserole dish and cook covered
in middle of oven for 1 hour.

5) Remove from oven, take off lid and cook for an additional 15
minutes to brown the top and evaporate the water.

6) Serve with ketchup.



No comments:

Post a Comment