Sunday, February 9, 2014

Product Review: Compliments Gluten-Free Cookie Mix


Cookies ready to go into the oven before baking.

Sobeys has come out with a line of store brand gluten free products under their Compliments brand: things such as brownies, cake mixes, quinoa muffins, cookie mix and a flour mix that are certified by the Canadian Celiac Association's certification program.  I haven't had the opportunity to try all of them but my daughter and I tried out the cookie mix this weekend. 

When I first looked at the box of "cookie mix" I thought to myself "what kind of cookie mix?" and honestly I didn't expect it to be a very good product.  I had low expectations because it was too generic.  However, I was surprised with the results.

The mix was fairly easy to make, I measured out the ingredients and my 4 year old poured them in and I stirred. I was concerned at that point because it didn't seem like the mix was coming together.  I felt like it needed more moisture.  The box does suggest using a mixer though and I mixed by hand because I was too lazy to get up on a chair to get my mixer down so that might have made a difference. :)

The box suggests that you can make the cookies as is with just eggs and margarine (or butter) or you can add various additional ingredients such as chocolate chips or raisins among other things to change the taste. We decided to add raisins. My husband eats gluten and both he and I agreed that they tasted like a regular, gluten containing, raisin cookie. 

(***The current packaging actually also suggests adding some gluten containing ingredients such as corn flakes, oatmeal and rice crisps so if you're making these cookies for someone who has Celiac disease or gluten intolerance and would like to add those you should look for gluten free corn flakes, and rice crisps and wheat free oats (or gluten free oats if you're in the United States) as the standard versions usually contain gluten. I have brought this to Sobey's attention.)

After baking, they came out as a soft cookie which is unusual for gluten free and I'm impressed that they've stayed soft on the counter in a ziploc bag all weekend.

This product doesn't contain dairy or nuts.  It made 23 cookies.  It was quick and easy to make and I think I will buy it again in the future. . .maybe next time I'll make chocolate chip cookies.

Cookies cooling out of the oven.







No comments:

Post a Comment